Prof. François Beauducel
Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (France)
- Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches (H.D.R.), University Paris Diderot, May 20, 2010.
- Doctorate Thesis (Ph.D.) Internal Geophysics, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (Rock Mechanics Laboratory) – University Paris 7, with honors très honorable avec félicitations du jury, advisor: François-Henri Cornet.
- DEA (Postgraduate) Internal Geophysics, IPGP – Univ. Paris 7, with honors assez bien 4th out of 25. Research training (6 months) at IPGP, advisor: Hugues Delorme.
- Industrial Engineer (M.Sc. equivalent) Electricity option Electronics, École Centrale des Arts et Métiers, Brussels, with honors avec distinction. R&D training (1 year) at Royal Observatory of Belgium (ORB), advisors: Ernest Depauw & Michel Van Ruymbeke.
- Candidate Industrial Engineer (B.Sc. equivalent), École Centrale des Arts et Métiers, Brussels, with honors avec distinction.
- Baccalauréat C (Mathematics & Physics), Academy of Paris.-Versailles
Honors and Awards
- Prix CERDECAM for my TFE, from the Industrial Research and Development Center of ECAM.
- 1-year university scholarship (bourse) for my D.E.A., from Ministère de l’Education, de la Recherche et de la Technologie.
- 3-year university scholarship (research allocation) for my doctorate thesis, from Ministère de l’Education, de la Recherche et de la Technologie.
- Selection of my doctorate thesis by CNFGG Volcanology Section 3 for the Prix de Géophysique 1998.
Main Geophysical Results
- Merapi, Indonesia: Contribution to the knowledge of shallow structures (role of fractures at summit, magma conduit) and deep structures (localisation of a magma chamber), of characteristics of involved sources of deformation (magma flux variations, lava dome weight and mass budget) and the mechanical behaviour of the edifice (estimation of elasticity modulus at large scale, precise localisation of a rock slope problem) [Beauducel, 1998; Beauducel and Cornet, 1999; Beauducel et al., 2000a; Beauducel et al., 2006]. We have also formed indonesian teams to GPS technique between 1993 and 1997, such that since 1998, they carry on GPS network measurements twice a year, process and interpret the data at VSI.
- Etna, Italy: Joint modelling of tropospheric delay and deformations from SAR images ERS-1, showing that large scale observed signal from 1992 to 1998 is mostly due to atmospheric artefact [Beauducel et al., 2000b; Briole et al., 1999].
- Campi Flegrei, Italy: Evidence for complex 3-D geometry of the caldera discontinuity (levelling and gravimetric data during the 1983-1985 bradyseism) and 1993-1996 large scale subsidence (InSAR) [Avallone et al., 1999; Beauducel and De Natale, 2004].
- Piton de la Fournaise, Réunion: “Tiltmeter antenna” instrumentation and data processing: analysis of site effects, real-time dyke intrusion characterisation. [Beauducel, 1992].
- Soufrière, Guadeloupe: Hydrothermal system characterization and modelling : 3-D modelling of lava dome large fractures deformations from extensometer data, consistent with superficial pressure source [Jacob et al., 2005], evidence for rock alteration layer from electrical tomography measurements [Nicollin et al., 2006], quantification of acid gas in the fumaroles [Bernard et al., 2006].
- Monitoring: Development of a new integrated monitoring system interface for volcano observatories, pluridisciplinary and real-time tools to help scientific interpretation during crisis [Beauducel et al., 2004].
- GPS: Development of a kinematic / static combination (measurement and adjustment protocols) for rapid and precise survey [Beauducel et al., 2006].
- Tiltmetry: Application of a low-cost method for high-precision tilt surface installation that avoids main thermomechanical and rainfall effects; signal processing methods for correction of noise in continuous tilt data [Beauducel, 1998; Beauducel and Cornet, 1999].
- SAR Interferometry: Constitution of a high-precision coherency map (permanent scatters); pixel quality automatic selection for further processing (masks); analyse of tropospheric delay by phase-elevation relation; notion of interferogram compensation by inversion [Beauducel et al., 2000b; Briole et al., 1999].
- Modelling: Evidence for a striking relation between seismic events and long-term deformation; evidence for 3-D local effects in mechanical models; integration of various data to determine a unique deformation field [Beauducel et al., 2000a; Beauducel and Cornet, 1999].